Candidate Questionnaire: Walt Berens for Evansville City Council
CASPER, Wyo. – Election season is underway and Oil City News has sent a list of questions to every candidate for Evansville City Council who has run to run in the August primary election.
These questions are designed to give our readers a better understanding of the people behind the names on the ballot. Below, discover Walt Berenswho is running for a seat on the Evansville City Council:
1. Who are you? (Name, where you are from, job, hobbies, etc.)
Lived in Evansville for 11 years.
Hobbies: Hunting, Fishing.
2. Why did you decide to run for office and what do you hope to achieve if elected?
I want to help Evansville grow without losing the small town feel, continue to improve services and support growth.
3. How do you plan to achieve your goals?
I hope to accomplish this by working with the other members of council and the residents of Evansville.
4. What experience do you have that qualifies you for the position you are seeking?
I have worked with several groups including the State Fire Bureau, Converse and Natrona County Fire, NRA, among others. I also managed Tri County Fire and Safety for 12 years.
5. Do you think you could be a good steward of taxpayers’ money? Why or why not?
I would be a good steward with taxpayers’ money because I am one of them and I know what it takes to operate on a budget.
6. On the issue of transparency, how far along are you in ensuring that all public affairs are conducted openly and in a manner that encourages public participation?
I encourage citizens and others to attend council meetings and voice their opinions and want everyone to know and understand how and what council is doing for them.
7. Do you think the office or board position you are seeking has been open and honest with the public? If so, how can the entity remain open and transparent in the conduct of public affairs in the future. If not, what changes would you implement to ensure that all future transactions are open and transparent?
Yes, I believe they have been open and honest with citizens. We can continue to be open and honest by continuing to webcast meetings and having an open door policy.
8. If you were chairing a meeting and a topic was discussed that you did not fully understand, would you ask for a more detailed explanation during the meeting or would you seek the information after the meeting?
I hope I have all the information before the meeting, especially if I am chairing the meeting, but if not, I will ask for more details during the meeting and possibly table the question until more information is available.
9. If elected or re-elected, do you plan to seek major political changes in your chosen position? If so, what would those changes be? If not, why not?
I don’t have any major changes in mind right now.
10. Is there anything the questions above did not ask that you would like to comment on?
NOTE: All of the leading candidates running to run for Evansville City Council received questionnaires at the same time and Oil City News will publish responses in the order they were received. Candidate responses are edited for clarity and style only.
If you are a candidate and have not seen the questionnaire in your inbox, please email [email protected]. Oil City News sent questionnaires to Natrona County candidates running in the primary for municipal, county office or a seat in the Wyoming Legislature based on email addresses shared by the office of the Natrona County Clerk; if you prefer the questionnaire to be sent to another address, please let us know.